The food processing sector includes 1800 firms, and there are more than 20,000 farms in B.C. Agrifood is one of the largest manufacturing sectors in the province. The Government’s Agrifood and Seafood Strategic Growth Plan (SGP) has a goal of increasing provincial agrifood revenues, by supporting the sector, driving competitiveness, increasing production and building markets.
As part of this plan, the Ministry of Agriculture is currently focused on the growth and promotion of agritech. As the convergence of technology with agriculture, Agritech represents significant opportunities for B.C. producers and processors to become more competitive and resilient to address future realities of climate change; and continue to realize significant revenues for the Province. The adoption of innovative technologies and solutions will advance key priorities of the SGP and the agrifood sector.
Agrifood & Seafood Key Data
- Sales: $13.0 billion
- GDP: $4.3 billion
- Share of Provincial Total GDP: 2.1%
- Exports: $3.5 billion
- Total sales of B.C. agrifood & seafood at $13.029 billion are up 7.6 per cent over 2014.
- Total sales include $3.076 billion in agriculture + $0.867 billion in seafood + $9.086 billion in manufacturers’ shipments.
- Growth in sales occurred in the food and beverage manufacturing sector (up 9.1 per cent), the combined aquaculture and commercial fishing sector (up 4.7 per cent) and the primary agriculture sector (up 4.5 per cent).
- Total estimated agrifood and seafood GDP, at $4.3 billion, rose 7.8 per cent over 2014.
- B.C.’s agrifood and seafood sector accounts for 2.1 per cent of B.C.’s total GDP which was $209.1 billion in 2015.